Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What I'm reading

13These all died in faith,not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:13-16

I'm currently chewing on this portion of Hebrews 11 this morning. Actually, it started last night after I left the gym.

The first thing that jumped off the page for me last night was "these all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but haveing seen them and greeted them from afar". Really?! Again, the question was posed to my heart - "will you be ok, will you still glorify Me even if you never get to see your promises?"

God has never promised me that I'll be a size 6. God has never promised me that I'll lose 220 lbs. God has never promised me that I'll live a long and healthy life. However! He has promised to never leave me nor forsake me. He is my refuge and strength & He's promised to always be my ever present Help in trouble.

Just a few more:
" Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matt. 11:28

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be moved, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed." Isaiah 54:10

" I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." 1 Cor. 2:9


There is so much more about Hebrews 11 that I wish I had time to write about. For now v. 15 & 16 are hitting home over and over and over and over again.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: