Saturday, March 29, 2008

BodyPump

I was on my own Thursday night so I decided to take BodyPump. Here’s a little something about the class.

BODYPUMP™ is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This 60-minute workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for – and fast!

A few weeks ago Eric, the North Lakes manager, came up to me and said “hey when are you and Michael going to take my BodyPump class?” I hadn’t ever considered it so I asked Sir Chadwick what he thought. To my surprise he was didn’t think it would be a bad idea and was game for taking it. 3 weeks later we still hadn’t taken the class… So, as I walked into the gym yesterday I decided “what the heck. I’m here; Eric’s invited me, I’m curious, why not take advantage of a free class, right?”

I had 5 minutes to change before the class started so I quickly set to work. Ever notice how one makes the dumbest mistakes in the middle of a rushed panic? Why do we do that?!?! Imagine this: Me + a small bathroom stall + the stress of knowing that I had less than 5 minutes before a new class = scrambling to get in and out of clothes, trying to tie my shoe laces while stuffing my heels into my bag then suddenly falling forward (HEAD FIRST) into the stall door! How’s that for clumsy?!

So, I made it to class on time. The instructor, who surprisingly wasn’t Eric, instantly lit up the second she saw me. She even knew my name! I had seen her a few times at the gym but never had the nerve to introduce myself (She’s one of those beautiful beauties). It was really nice of her to notice that it was my first visit. She quickly jumped to my aid and started to grab equipment for me. Equipment included: a “stepper”, a bar bell, several sets of weights, a clip to hold my weights in place, and a mat.

The class was pretty packed and as we weaved in and out of rows of people she turns over her shoulder and says “this class should be a piece of cake for you. I’ve seen the way Michael trains you. He’s pretty hardcore.” I just smiled in return and was pleased that she sounded so confident that I’d be able to keep up. Seriously, what a compliment for both myself and Sir Chadwick!! In all honesty I never knew they were watching. On one occasion Eric came up to us at the gym and started making small talk but I was in the zone and currently being ripped to pieces in the middle some crazy core set and didn’t have the energy to muster a smile. Eric and Sir Chadwick looked pleasantly amused and just laughed with each other at ME! I guess that was trainer to trainer humor…. Blah on them!

Overall the class was good. I think it’ll be better once I get the weight portions down. I under estimated my strength and mid class realized that I didn’t get nearly enough weights. I was beginning to wonder why I wasn’t sweating or feeling anything. The instructor kept a great pace. The class moved from exercise to exercise with 5-10 seconds of rest between each set. I did notice that she LOVED working on the glutes. I don’t think I’ve never done as many lunges at one time. And, I can’t say that I’m a fan of the lunge.

I do have to confess that this little baby bit of pride welled up in my heart when I thought what BodyPump would look like if Sir Chadwick was leading it! I can wholeheartedly guarantee that most people would’ve been able to walk the next day! Did I ever tell y’all about the time that Sir Chadwick busted me up so badly in the gym that when I got in my car the next morning I could hardly reach to put my foot on the clutch let alone extend my right arm to shift into 1st?! If it hurt that bad getting to 1st I knew that 5th was going to be a _____ (let’s just say that getting to 5th that day was “interesting”.

One, last note - It wasn’t until I stood side by side other “gymers” that I got a glimpse of how far God had brought me. 8 months ago I would’ve been riddled with self consciousness to even step foot in the gym. Now, I actually enjoy walking in there.

No comments: