Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wormish

It's no secret that I've been a bit lost lately. When I say I've been lost I mostly mean that I haven't felt like I've know who I am, what I want to do, or not do, where I'm going or where I should be. Lost and pitiful. My identity was so wrapped up in who I was at my former position and who I was a woman who was finally conquering obesity... with a failed career and a slowly moving train wreck away from victory I've been in a sad state of affairs.

I'm currently reading Grace Walk by Steve McVey, it was given to me by my former boss. I've picked this book up more times than I can remember and I've never been able to get past the first two chapters. However, tonight was a different story as this deep desire was nagging at my heart to pick it up once again. I'm so glad that I have, because yet again God's timing has proved to be perfect.

McVey writes: It's important to see yourself as God sees you. You know how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly through the process of metamorphosis. The caterpillar weaves a cocoon around itself and a short time later it emerges as a butterfly.

McVey then references Bob George, Classic Christianity. George writes (and it's rather brilliant!) If you were to see a butterfly, it would never occur to you to say, "Hey, everybody! Come look at this good-looking converted worm!" Why not? After all, it was a worm. And it was "converted." No, now it is a new creature, and you don't think of it in terms of what it was. You see it as it is now - a butterfly.
In exactly the same way, God sees you as His new creature in Christ. Although you might not always act like a good butterfly - you might land on things you shouldn't, or forget that you are a butterfly and crawl around with your old worm buddies - the truth of the matter is, you are never going to be a worm again!

How awesome is that?! I know it's simple and I know we've heard that analogy a thousand times over, but today I got it for the first time - all over again! Rejoice with me, butterflies. We are worms no more!

No comments: